Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Toasting the spaghetti in the oven to bring out a nutty taste, then cooking it in a light vegetable broth gives this dish so much flavor, you won’t even miss the cheese you usually add to pasta.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pasta on baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden, shaking pan once or twice to brown evenly.
2. Bring vegetable broth, 2½ cups water, tomato paste, harissa, and saffron to a simmer in saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and keep warm.
3. Heat large stockpot over medium-high heat, and coat with cooking spray. Add mushrooms, and cook 7 minutes, or until browned. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in pasta and 2 cups hot broth. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Add spinach, chickpeas and remaining broth. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes more, or until noodles are tender and most of broth is absorbed, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- Calories 274
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 490 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g