Brynelle Shepeck, of Littleton, Colo., serves these tasty spinach-and-feta appetizers—a riff on classic spanakopita pie—at family gatherings and neighborhood parties.
- 1/2 cup short-grain white rice, rinsed
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbs. pesto
- 1 Tbs. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs, for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Bring 2 cups salted water to a boil in medium saucepan, and add rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Stir in spinach, green onions, Parmesan, feta, pesto, dill, nutmeg, and egg, and season with pepper, if desired.
3 .Divide rice mixture into Ping-Pong-ball-size spheres. Roll in panko crumbs, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes.
- Calories: 54
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Cholesterol Content: 14 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 117 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.5 g