Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Layers of phyllo make a crisp double crust for this classic Greek spinach pie.
1. Squeeze spinach dry with hands, and place in bowl. (You should have 4 cups.)
2. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 10 minutes, or until browned. Add spinach, green onions, and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 5 minutes, or until mixture is dry. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk eggs in small bowl. Stir eggs into spinach mixture, then fold in feta.
4. Place remaining 1/3 cup oil in bowl, and brush bottom and sides of 9-inch square baking pan with oil. Unroll phyllo, and keep under damp towel to retain moisture. Place 1 phyllo sheet in prepared pan, letting excess hang over short sides of pan. Brush phyllo sheet with oil. Place second phyllo sheet across first on pan, so excess hangs over long sides of pan; brush sheet with oil. Repeat crisscross layering with 4 more phyllo sheets.
5. Spread spinach mixture in phyllo crust.
6. Spread 1 phyllo sheet on work surface; brush with oil. Top with another phyllo sheet. Repeat brushing and layering with remaining 4 phyllo sheets. Place phyllo stack on top of spinach mixture. Trim edges with scissors so no more than 1 inch of phyllo hangs over edges. Discard excess. Roll edges over pie to seal. Brush top with oil, and score decorative diamond pattern over top with knife. Bake 1 hour, or until top is flaky and golden-brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 297
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 71 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 695 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g