Canned or dried fava beans have a rich, meaty texture that adds body to this brothy dish. If you can’t find prepared romesco sauce, check out the Quick Romesco Sauce recipe at vegetariantimes.com: It makes more than you need for this recipe, but the remainder will keep up to a week in the fridge and can be used as a spread or topping for just about anything.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked dried fava beans, or one 15-oz. can fava beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup paella or bomba rice
- 5 Tbs. prepared romesco sauce, divided
- 3 cups frozen Mediterranean vegetable blend
- 2 Tbs. sherry or red wine vinegar
Combine beans, rice, 3 cups water, and 3 Tbs. romesco sauce in large saucepan, and season with salt, if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vegetable blend and sherry vinegar. Cover, and cook 7 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and heated through. Stir in remaining 2 Tbs. romesco sauce and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serving Size: serves 4
- Calories: 356
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 431 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g