This all-purpose pasta sauce can be used on spaghetti as well as in our Ultimate Vegan Lasagna. Puréed roasted red peppers help thicken it quickly.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 2 small onions, diced (2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. dried basil or 3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
Purée roasted red peppers in food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside.
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 5 minutes, or until golden.
Add basil and garlic, and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in tomatoes and roasted red pepper purée.
Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Simmer 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Calories: 53
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 352 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g