Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The rich, red hue of this compote mirrors the color of traditional cranberry sauce, but the subtle spiciness offers something savory and unexpected. Serve like cranberry sauce or as a bread topping for hors d’oeuvres.
1. Cover raisins with boiling water, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, cook beets in large pot of boiling water 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garam masala, and cook 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Add shallots, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in beets, raisins, vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until compote is thickened. Cool.
- Calories 131
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 446 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g