This dish is a simple 30-minute meal. For an extra-spicy entrée, leave the seeds in the jalapeño; remove seeds for a mild version. Shiitake stems can be saved for flavoring stock but are inedible, so discard them after using.
- 1 Tbs. peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. dark sesame oil
- 9 cups (1 medium bunch) bok choy, rinsed and sliced crosswise
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 cup sliced scallion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 3 Tbs. water
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. granular sugar substitute
- 1 lb. firm tofu, at room temperature, cubed
Heat oils in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add bok choy and mushrooms, and stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Add scallion, garlic, jalapeño and ginger, and stir-fry for 1 1/2 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix water, soy sauce and sugar substitute together in a cup. Stir into bok choy mixture, and top with tofu. Cover, and cook just to heat through, for 1 minute.
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 710 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g