Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
For this quinoa salad we roast the chickpeas along with the cauliflower, but you could substitute already-roasted chickpeas if you like; just add them directly to the salad and roast the cauliflower on its own in Step 1. A lime vinaigrette dressing provides a double hit of acidity from the fresh lime juice and apple cider vinegar.
Roasting the chickpeas for 25 to 35 minutes will turn them light golden. If you like yours a little darker and toastier, arrange them on the prepared sheet and roast for 10 minutes before adding the cauliflower and roasting as directed. For a dairy-free salad, swap vegan halloumi if you can find it or make your own ‘tofu halloumi’ which will work great here.
Spiced Cauliflower and Quinoa Salad with Grilled Halloumi Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, toss together cauliflower, 1 tbsp oil, coriander and cumin. Spread cauliflower on one side of sheet. In same bowl, toss chickpeas with remaining 1 tbsp oil; spread on second half of sheet. Roast until cauliflower is softened and golden and chickpeas are light golden, 25 to 35 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Grate zest off 1 orange and set aside. Working 1 orange at a time, cut off top and bottom of orange. Cut off and discard remaining skin and pith. Working over a large bowl to catch juice, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice from membranes before discarding.
3. Add cauliflower, chickpeas, quinoa, onion and orange zest. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently to coat. Divide among plates and set aside.
4. Heat a grill pan on medium-high and mist with cooking spray. Grill halloumi, turning halfway through, until grill-marked and warm, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into cubes. Divide among salads and top with seeds.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 595
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 484 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 19 g