Ginger, cumin, and garlic give these latkes a Middle Eastern flavor. The cooling minted yogurt topping is a traditional sauce at Mediterranean Jewish meals.
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided, plus more, if necessary
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 large head cauliflower, divided into medium florets (about 9 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed matzo or unsalted Saltines
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch or potato starch
- Minced red jalapeño chiles or harissa, for garnish, optional
1. To make Minted Yogurt: Combine all ingredients in small bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill 1 hour.
2. To make Latkes: Heat 2 Tbs. oil in Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown. Add garlic, curry powder, cumin, and ginger; sauté 30 seconds. Add cauliflower and 2 cups water; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up florets with spatula or spoon. Uncover, and cook 20 to 30 minutes more, or until all liquid has evaporated. Coarsely mash with potato masher, and cool.
3. Whisk together egg and mayonnaise in bowl. Stir in cauliflower mixture; fold in crushed matzo, raisins, and cornstarch. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Transfer 1/4-cup scoops of cauliflower mixture into skillet, flattening each scoop to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Fry 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Repeat with remaining cauliflower mixture, adding more oil to pan as needed. Drain on paper towels. Garnish Latkes with mint sprigs and chiles (if using), and serve with Minted Yogurt.
- Calories: 398
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Cholesterol Content: 34 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 265 mg
- Sugar Content: 19 g