This winter warmer offers a tart alternative to hot apple cider. Crushing fresh ginger slices helps release the root’s spicy-sweet flavor. Floating cubes of diced pear add a festive touch. The salad pictured is Warm Farro Pilaf with Dried Cranberries.
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 1/4-inch-thick slices ginger, crushed
- 1 3-inch-long cinnamon stick
- 2 cups pear juice or cider
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 large pear, peeled, cored, and cut into small dice (1 1/4 cups), optional
1. Bring cranberries, ginger, cinnamon stick, and 3 1/2 cups water to a simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove ginger and cinnamon stick, and set aside. Strain cranberry mixture into another saucepan, pressing down on solids to extract all liquid. (You should have about 3 cups liquid.) 2. Return ginger and cinnamon stick to cranberry juice, and add pear juice, sugar, and vanilla bean. Bring to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes, then remove ginger, cinnamon stick, and vanilla bean. Add diced pear (if using), and remove from heat. Serve warm.
- Calories: 102
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 6 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g