Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This persimmon cake taps into an old-fashioned baking method of adding puréed persimmons to cakes and steamed puddings to sweeten them and keep them moist.
Spiced Persimmon Bundt Cake with Yogurt Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with flour.
2. Halve persimmon, and scoop out flesh. Discard skin, and purée flesh until smooth. (You should have 1 cup.)
3. Whisk together flours, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
4. Beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 1 1/2 cups sugar, and continue to beat 1 minute, or until mixture is fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
5. Reduce mixer speed to very low, and add half of flour mixture. Add half of persimmon purée, then remaining flour mixture, followed by remaining persimmon purée, and 1/4 cup yogurt. Transfer batter to prepared pan, and bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Transfer cake to wire rack. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Unmold, and cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
6. Whisk together remaining 1 3/4 cups yogurt and remaining 2 Tbs. sugar in bowl. Serve cake with yogurt cream.
- Calories 282
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 63 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 205 mg
- Sugar Content 23 g