Spiced Sweet Potato and Rutabaga Gratin
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/2 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch slices and kept in cold water until ready to use
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 3 tsp. cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Bring large pot of water to a boil. When water boils, lightly salt water, then rutabaga, carrots and sweet potato slices and boil 5 minutes. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Add coriander and cumin seeds to mixture, then add drained sweet potatoes, rutabagas and carrots. Toss gently over heat 5 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of reserved cooking liquid over vegetables, and squeeze lemon juice over top.
Cover and bake 1 hour. Remove cover. Scatter sunflower seeds over top and bake 10 minutes more. Serve warm.
- Calories 186
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 25 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g