Very simple, very good! These onion-flecked mashed potatoes are a cut above the usual and make a fantastic change-of pace-dinner entree.
- 5 large russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (4 1/2 lbs.), scrubbed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt or soy yogurt
- 4-oz. can chopped mild green chilies or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger, or to taste
MEAL PLAN: Partner the potatoes with tempeh cutletssaute tempeh slices in a little olive oil and soy sauce until sizzling and golden. You can also toss up a mixed green salad for a cooling flavor contrast.
Pierce potatoes several times with knife, then wrap in paper towels. Microwave on high until easily pierced, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
When potatoes are done, cool just enough so that they can be handled. Peel potatoes, then transfer to large serving bowl and coarsely mash. Stir in sauteed onion along with remaining ingredients. Season with salt to taste and serve.
- Calories: 213
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 40 mg