You’ll love this version of a Vietnamese street-food sandwich favorite. Fill with baked tofu, or substitute 1 cup leftover fried tofu cubes from the Stir-fried Tofu Bento Box.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey, agave nectar, or sugar
- 1/2-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded daikon radish
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 Vietnamese baguette or 1/2 French baguette, split in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbs. low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. red chile sauce, such as sriracha
- 1/4 tsp. tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup baked Asian-flavored tofu, thinly sliced, or stir-fried tofu cubes
- 2 6-inch strips cucumber
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- 6 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves, torn
1. Combine vinegar, honey, and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Add daikon radish and carrot, and stir to mix. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place baguette on baking sheet, and crisp 5 minutes in oven. Cool 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of bread. Sprinkle with red chile sauce and tamari. Fill with tofu, cucumber, and cilantro. Drain carrot-radish mixture, and spread on sandwich. Top with tomatoes and lettuce, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Press top half of baguette on sandwich, and slice sandwich in half.
- Calories: 331
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 722 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g