Sicilians’ taste for spicy sauces comes from Arab influences, notes Giorgio Locatelli, chef at Locanda Locatelli in London and author of Made in Sicily.
- 8 oz. gemelli pasta
- 1 small bunch broccoli raab, cut into 2-inch pieces (6 cups)
- 1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried currants or golden raisins
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup shelled roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. Marsala wine, optional
1. Cook gemelli according to package directions until al dente.
2. Blanch broccoli raab in pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chickpeas and oil, and cook 2 minutes, or until chickpeas start to pop. Add currants, garlic, red pepper flakes, and broccoli raab; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until broccoli raab is tender.
4. Drain gemelli, and transfer to serving bowl. Add broccoli raab mixture, pistachios, and Marsala wine (if using).
- Calories: 339
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 197 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g