- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tsp. finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins (optional)
In large dry nonstick skillet, toast cumin and mustard seeds over medium heat until fragrant, stirring often, 30 to 45 seconds.
Add oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and jalapeño and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid) and stir 2 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is reduced by about half, 10 minutes. Add currants during last 1 minute of cooking. Serve hot over rice, with dollop of yogurt on top.
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 769 mg