Florida-based reader Lisa New came up with this comforting corn chowder on a chilly winter day. Chipotle chiles add meaty texture and smoky heat, but feel free to use less for a milder soup.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (3/4 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, diced (1/3 cup)
- 2 small yellow-flesh potatoes, diced (21/2 cups)
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 13.5-oz. can coconut milk (3/4 cup)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft.
2. Add potatoes, corn, chipotle chile, and bay leaf, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth, and bring to a boil.
3.Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in coconut milk and parsley, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 224
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 69 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g