Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
A pan of homemade cornbread provides the base for this zesty, garlicky dish.
1. To make Cornbread: Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Stir in buttermilk and eggs, then fold in green onions.
2. Heat oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in Cornbread batter. Transfer skillet to oven, and bake 25 minutes, or until Cornbread is firm and golden. Cool. Unmold, and cut into 1-inch cubes. Spread cubes on baking sheet to dry overnight. Transfer to large bowl.
3. To make Stuffing: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread Cornbread cubes on large baking sheet, and toast 20 minutes. Cool, then return to bowl.
4. Sauté chorizo in skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes, or until crumbles begin to crisp. Stir in onions, celery, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes, or until onions and celery have softened, stirring frequently. Stir in parsley, sage, and thyme, then stir chorizo mixture into Cornbread cubes.
5. Beat eggs in separate bowl, then whisk in broth and smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir egg mixture into Cornbread mixture until moistened.
6. Spread Stuffing in prepared baking dish, and drizzle with oil. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until top is lightly browned, and sides look dry and crisp. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 193
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 63 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 504 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g