Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today and save 20%!.
Tender chunks of eggplant get a spicy kick from harissa, the signature chile-garlic sauce of North Africa. When the vegetables are cooked, eggs are cracked onto the surface of the stew and baked until just set for a dramatic presentation.
1. Combine eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, and garlic in 3.5-qt. tagine or Dutch oven. Add oil and ras el hanout, and season with salt, if desired. Pour in broth.
2. Place in cold oven, adjust heat to 300°F, and cook 2 1/2 hours, stirring gently every 45 minutes. Stir in harissa, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Form six shallow wells among vegetables, and break 1 egg into each well. Season with salt, if desired. Return to oven, and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until egg whites are set.
4. Serve, allowing guests to garnish as desired with parsley, pine nuts, lemon wedges, and more harissa (if using).
- Calories 299
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 186 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 508 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g