Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Jennifer Banahan of Kentucky loves cooking, and often plans her dinners to complement the movies she rents. (She says this recipe is great for Italian films.) Jennifer serves this puttanesca sauce over polenta and uses it in vegetable lasagna. To make it vegan, simply substitute your favorite cooked pasta for the cheese tortellini, and omit the Parmesan.
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, warm oil over medium heat in large nonstick saucepan. Sauté eggplant, onion and bell pepper 5 to 10 minutes, until eggplant is soft but not mushy. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more. Add olives, tomatoes and capers, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in oregano and chili flakes. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer while pasta cooks.
3. Add tortellini to boiling water, and cook according to package directions, being careful not to overcook. Drain pasta, return to pot, and stir in puttanesca sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired, and parsley, and serve.
- Calories 576
- Carbohydrate Content 64 g
- Cholesterol Content 37 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 827 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g