This stir-fry uses just a few ingredients, but the flavor is wonderfully complex. The Thai Lemongrass and Chile Soup and Bangkok Noodles (p. 48) make tasty accompaniments.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small fresh red or green chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Heat oil in wok or large, deep skillet over high heat. Toss in garlic and chiles, and stir-fry 2 to 3 minute. Add tofu, and stir-fry until tofu is heated through, about 2 minutes.
Add soy sauce and sugar, and mix well. Add beans, and cook just until bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Add basil, and mix thoroughly. Transfer to warm platter and serve hot.
- Calories: 125
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 178 mg