Fresh ginger gives these dark, molasses-laced cookies a spicy kick.
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 oz. Earth Balance margarine
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. egg replacer, such as Ener-G
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 tsp. arrowroot powder
1. To make Cookies: Whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream margarine, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer 3 minutes, or until smooth.
3. Combine egg replacer and 2 Tbs. water in bowl, and add to sugar mixture. Add molasses, and beat until smooth. Beat in flour mixture until soft dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat with cooking spray.
5. Place dough between two sheets of parchment or wax paper, and roll out to 1/4-inch thick.
6. Cut with 3-inch gingerbread-man cutter, and transfer to prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges of Cookies begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets.
7. To make Frosting: Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, arrowroot, and 2 Tbs. water in small bowl. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with small round tip, and decorate Cookies with Frosting. Allow to set 30 minutes, then transfer to airtight container.
- Calories: 115
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 135 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g