To toast and peel the hazelnuts for this recipe, preheat the oven to 400F. Spread the hazelnuts on a cake pan. Toast the nuts for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the skins crack. Remove them from the oven, and cool for about 10 minutes. Rub the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel to loosen the skins. Pick the nuts out of the towel, and discard the bits of skin.
Spicy Greens Salad
- 4 medium-sized beets, tops trimmed off
- 6 cups mixed arugula, baby spinach and shredded radicchio, washed and dried
- 4 fresh figs, stems trimmed, quartered lengthwise
- 30 chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. hazelnut oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Wrap the beets in foil, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until very tender when poked with a skewer or thin paring knife. Remove from the oven, let beets cool and slip off the skins with a paring knife. Dice the beets, and set them aside.
To make the Vinaigrette: Put all the vinaigrette ingredients into a blender, and purée until smooth.
To assemble the Spicy Greens Salad: In a large bowl, toss the beets and greens with the vinaigrette. Divide the salad equally among 4 plates. Top with the figs, sprinkle with the hazelnuts and serve.
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 280 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g