Rich-tasting mushroom broth gives this soup its hearty flavor, though any vegetarian broth will work here.
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 4 oz. uncooked rice-flour noodles (or 4 oz. vermicelli, cooked)
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts chopped (6 cups)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, tough outer sheaths removed, inner core smashed and minced
- 1 16-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained and diced
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. garlic-chile sauce, optional
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup torn fresh Thai (or regular) basil leaves
- 1/3 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped, optional
1. Place noodles in large bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes, or until noodles are softened.
2. Meanwhile, bring mushroom broth and 4 cups water to boil in large pot. Add leeks and lemongrass, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 12 minutes. Stir in tofu, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic-chile sauce, if desired. Simmer soup 5 minutes more.
3. Drain noodles, and divide among 4 soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles, and top with bean sprouts, cilantro, basil, mint, and peanuts, if desired.
- Calories: 342
- Carbohydrate Content: 58 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 836 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g