“At parties, I like to serve something that needs to be assembled on the spot to get everybody around the table eating and talking,” says Tess Masters, recipe developer and author of The Blender Girl.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 2 hours, then drained
- 1/2 cup firmly packed cilantro leaves
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups raw walnuts
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. minced serrano chile
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 4 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 16 Bibb or butterhead lettuce leaves
- 2 avocados, cut into 8 slices each
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup gomasio or sesame seeds
1 | To make Crème: Blend cashews, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, cayenne (if using), and 1/4 cup water in blender or food processor 60 seconds, or until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill.
2 | To make Filling: Pulse all ingredients in food processor until mixture is crumbly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3 | To assemble Lettuce Cups: Spoon 3 Tbs. Filling into each lettuce leaf, top each with 1 avocado slice, and drizzle with 1 heaping Tbs. Crème. Sprinkle with 1/2 Tbs. cilantro, 3/4 tsp. green onion, and 3/4 tsp. gomasio.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 301 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g