Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, BetterNutrition.com.
- Soak nuts in filtered water to cover. Drain and rinse cashews and macadamias after 3-4 hours. Drain and rinse Brazil nuts after 8 hours.
- Transfer nuts to food processor. Add water and purée until creamy and smooth.
- Add jalapeño and Fresno peppers, and pulse to blend. Open probiotic capsules and empty contents into nut mixture. Pulse to mix.
- Transfer mixture to cheesecloth-lined strainer. Place strainer in shallow bowl, and let stand 24 hours. Empty liquid that accumulates in bottom. (You can keep this to make Creamy Cheese Sauce, below, or discard.)
- Purée fermented cheese with melted coconut oil, nutritional yeast, and salt. Serve immediately as a soft, crumbly cheese to top tacos or burritos. Or pack into small dish or ramekin lined with
plastic; cover; and refrigerate until firm.
- To serve, invert dish or ramekin over plate to release cheese, and remove plastic. Serve with crackers or on sandwiches. Refrigerate remainder for up to one week.
- Calories 322
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 31 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 15 g
- Sodium Content 295 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g