Serve this Indian dip with bread, or pair it with rice for a main course.
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
Bring broth and lentils to a boil in pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Cover, and remove from heat.
Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté 5 minutes. Add cumin, turmeric and coriander; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add coconut milk and lentils, and cook 3 minutes more.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in lime juice. Serve over rice.
- Calories: 185
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 273 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g