Sautéed onions and peppers tossed with seitan, spices, and chopped cilantro makes a vitamin C–boosting supper that the whole family will love. Serve with salsa and guacamole.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1 8-oz. pkg. seitan, rinsed, drained, and thinly sliced
- 8 6-inch sprouted whole-grain tortillas, warmed
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions, and cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, stirring often.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together lime juice, cilantro, agave nectar, garlic, cumin, oregano, and chile powder in small bowl.
3. Add seitan to bell pepper mixture, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until seitan begins to brown. Stir in lime juice mixture, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Serve with warm tortillas.
- Calories: 535
- Carbohydrate Content: 75 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 16 g
- Protein Content: 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 290 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g