Spicy Tofu Lettuce Wraps
Savory, crispy and fresh, these lettuce wraps make a flavorful and healthful meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Leftover garnishes for this easy appetizer can be used to season the Hot Pot.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs. minced lemongrass
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 8-oz. can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 4 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp. vegetarian chile sauce, such as vegetarian sriracha
- 16 butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
1. To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, lemongrass, and garlic, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until onions are soft and beginning to brown. Add tofu and water chestnuts, breaking tofu into small crumbles; cook 4 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and chile sauce. Transfer to serving bowl.
2. Place lettuce leaves on platter, and set out garnishes in small serving bowls. Let guests wrap tofu mixture in lettuce leaves, and top with their choice of garnishes. Reserve extra garnishes for Hot Pot.
- Calories 88
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g