A lightly spicy combination of spinach and spaghetti squash is shaped into crisp oven-baked fritters.
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. ground chipotle chile powder
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Pierce squash in several places with knife. Microwave 3 minutes on high power to soften. Slice off ends, and stand squash upright. Cut straight down length of squash. Remove seeds with spoon. Place halves cut side down on rimmed baking sheet, and add 11/2 cups water to cover surface. Bake 30 minutes, or until squash yields when pressed.
3. Cool squash cut side up 10 minutes. Scrape halves with fork to release strands. Measure out 21/2 cups strands.
4. Meanwhile, spread spinach on baking sheet. Bake 2 minutes, or until just wilted. Cool. Squeeze dry, and chop.
5. Stir together spaghetti squash, bell pepper, egg, breadcrumbs, flour, chipotle powder, and spinach in bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
6. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, and increase oven temperature to 425°F.
7. Divide squash mixture into 16 2-inch disks; place on baking sheet. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, turning once.
- Calories: 123
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 47 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 76 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g