These spicy burgers rise above the pre-packaged, frozen variety.Meal Plan: Serve burgers with a simple salad of shredded romaine lettuce, minced parsley and a drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup packed chopped fresh spinach
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 to 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 pita pockets
- 8 pepperoncini peppers, drained and sliced, discard stems and seeds
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
In food processor, combine garbanzo beans, spinach, scallions, garlic and flour. Pulse on/off several times to blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste and process briefly. Shape mixture into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick.
In small bowl, mix tahini, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, cumin and salt to taste. Set aside.
In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side, adding a little more oil if necessary.
Cut pita breads in half. Cut burgers in half and place in pita breads. Spoon pepperoncini, tomatoes and cucumbers over burgers and drizzle with reserved tahini sauce.
- Calories: 405
- Carbohydrate Content: 67 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg