The filling here can be replaced with your favorite veggies and cheese, and you can increase the amount of quiche batter for larger pies using this simple equation: count ½ cup milk for every egg used. The recipe will also work in a prepared piecrust.
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 11/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach, thawed, all liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Pinch ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. To make Crust: Coat 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Lay 1 phyllo sheet on work surface, and brush all over with oil. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. sesame seeds. Top with second phyllo sheet, and brush with oil. Top with third phyllo sheet, brush with oil, and sprinkle with ½ tsp. sesame seeds. Repeat phyllo and oil layers twice more. Sprinkle fifth phyllo sheet with remaining sesame seeds, and top with sixth phyllo sheet. Press into prepared pie pan; trim edges with scissors.
3. To make Filling: Stir together spinach and onion. Sprinkle feta cheese over Crust. Top with spinach mixture. Arrange tomato halves over quiche.
4. To make Quiche Batter: Whisk together all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour Quiche Batter over Filling in Crust. Set quiche on baking sheet, and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until top is brown and center is set.
- Calories: 218
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Cholesterol Content: 84 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 435 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g