This is a savory, supper-worthy sandwich.
- 8 oz. portobello mushroom caps (about 4 medium), stemmed
- 2 Tbs. pine nuts
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 green onions (white and pale green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 lb. fresh spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 slices country bread, 1/2-inch thick, lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella
Preheat oven to 400F.
Wipe tops of mushroom caps. Using spoon, remove gills from inside caps, and discard. Cut caps in quarters, and thinly slice.
Toast pine nuts in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until golden and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer pine nuts to bowl.
Heat 1/2 Tbs. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and green onions, and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer mushroom mixture to large bowl.
Add remaining 1/2 Tbs. oil to skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 15 seconds. Add spinach, and toss until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add to mushroom mixture; toss to combine. Stir in pine nuts.
Arrange bread slices on baking sheet; top with spinach-mushroom mixture, dividing equally, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve sandwiches warm.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 330 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g