Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Candying nuts in the oven is a snap when you coat them with a mixture of egg white, sugar, and spices. The nuts keep well in a sealed glass jar, so you might want to make extra for future salads. Candied nuts for dessert? Simply omit the thyme, salt, and pepper in the Candied Cashews recipe above, and you have a crunchy dessert topping.
1. To make Candied Cashews: Preheat oven to 300°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper, and lightly spray with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together egg white and 1 Tbs. water in large bowl. Whisk in brown sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add cashews, and stir to thoroughly coat cashews.
3. Spread cashews on prepared baking sheet in single layer. Bake 15 minutes, then stir cashews on tray, and bake 15 minutes more, checking every 5 minutes to avoid burning. Cool.
4. To make Cherry Vinaigrette: blend all ingredients in blender until smooth, thinning with 1 to 2 Tbs. water, if desired.
5. To assemble Spinach Salad: Toss together all ingredients in large bowl with 1/4 cup Cherry Vinaigrette. (Reserve remaining vinaigrette for another use.) Sprinkle with Candied Cashews.
- Calories 325
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 598 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g