The shiitakes shrivel and crisp as they roast and taste almost smoky.
- 8 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 6 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium-sized navel orange
- 8 oz. baby spinach
- 1 medium-sized clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
To make Spinach-Shiitake Salad: Toss mushrooms with 2 Tbs. oil and 2 Tbs. tamari. Put mushrooms on baking sheet, and bake, tossing once, 30 minutes or until brown and crispy. Set aside.
Cut disk off top and bottom of orange, then remove all peel and pith. Cut orange crosswise into 5 rings. Cut up rings by cutting between sections. Put mushrooms, orange pieces and spinach in serving bowl.
To make Lemon-Rosemary Vinaigrette: Chop garlic, sprinkle with salt and, using flat side of knife, mash into paste. Transfer to bowl. Add rosemary, zest, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and remaining 1 Tbs. tamari. Thoroughly whisk in remaining 4 Tbs. oil. Add pepper to taste.
Pour over salad, toss and serve.
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 650 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g