Dill and cilantro give this dish its extraordinary taste. Cut it into squares and serve plain or with a light tomato sauce. Other greens, such as beet greens, escarole, chard or kale, can be mixed with the spinach for added interest and complexity of flavor.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 lbs. (2 large bunches) fresh spinach, stems removed (about 16 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs. fresh chopped dill or 1/2 tsp. dill weed
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 10-inch baking dish.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add spinach, salt lightly and cook until leaves wilt. Transfer to a colander, press out and reserve 1/4 cup liquid. Finely chop spinach.
In medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add cheese, herbs, salt and pepper. Add cooked spinach and reserved cooking liquid. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake until set, about 45 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 153
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 99 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg