Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The secret to success when making this light soup is to be sure all the vegetables are diced to the same size so they cook evenly. Feel free to substitute or add other fresh veggies, such as zucchini, celery, and corn.
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and sauté 2 minutes, or until shallots begin to soften. Add wine, garlic, and cayenne. Simmer 4 minutes.
2. Add carrots, potato, and turnips, and sauté 1 minute. Add broth and 5 cups water. Tie together parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves with kitchen twine, and add to soup. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Stir in peas, snow peas, and spinach. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes more. Remove herb bundle, and discard. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with tarragon, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
- Calories 182
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 94 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g