This soup is easy to make and requires very little cooking, which means the vegetables stay fresh-tasting and flavorful. The first peas of the season would be the best choice, but frozen peas are an excellent alternative. Accompany this soup with whole-grain bread.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (1 cup)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup shelled fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 6 cups vegetable broth, heated
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add peas and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add hot broth and bring to boil. Cook 1 minute. Stir in lettuce, salt and pepper. Serve hot with lemon wedges to squeeze into each portion.
- Calories: 115
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg