A last-minute addition of lemon juice brings out the flavors of early spring vegetables in a lightly seasoned broth.
- 1 large fennel bulb, quartered, cored, and sliced (11/2 cups)
- 8 medium radishes, quartered
- 2 cups fresh or frozen shelled fava beans
- 1 medium onion, sliced (11/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 24 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
1. Combine fennel, radishes, fava beans, onion, 3/4 cup parsley, and garlic in 3.5-qt. tagine or Dutch oven. Stir in oil, coriander, ginger, and turmeric, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour in broth.
2. Place in cold oven, adjust heat to 300°F, and cook 1 1/2 hours, stirring once at the 45-minute mark.
3. Stir in asparagus and peas, return to oven, and cook 30 minutes more, or until asparagus is tender. Remove from oven, and stir in lemon juice. Serve sprinkled with almonds and remaining 1/4 cup parsley.
- Calories: 247
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 56 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g