Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Sprouts may seem like a strange addition to a pasta dish, but hearty types such as sprouted lentils, peas, and chickpeas give this sauce body and flavor. We’ve called for equally hearty spelt and buckwheat gemelli, but you can use your favorite pasta shape as well.
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, bell pepper and carrots, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until leeks are soft. Stir in pasta sauce and 1 cup water. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook gemelli according to package directions.
3. Stir crunchy sprouts into pasta sauce, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Serve sauce over gemelli, and sprinkle with feta cheese, if using.
- Calories 492
- Carbohydrate Content 77 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 728 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g