As this colorful main dish cooks, the flavored broth used as a steaming liquid reduces to a savory sauce.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, divided
- 2 medium shallots, minced (1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (1 cup)
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 small head fennel, quartered and cut into 1-inch pieces, or 2 large ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 cup peeled butternut squash cubes (6 oz.)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (4 oz.)
- 1 cup halved white mushrooms (3 oz.)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (3 oz.)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat 1 Tbs. butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Add wine, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated. Add broth, and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Place steamer in saucepan over broth, and add potatoes, leek, and fennel. Cover, increase heat to medium-high, and steam 3 minutes.
3. Add squash, cauliflower, and mushrooms; cover, and steam 13 minutes. Add broccoli, cover, and steam 2 minutes.
4. Transfer vegetables to bowl, and partially cover to keep hot.
5. Remove steamer from saucepan; increase heat to medium-high. Boil liquid 5 minutes, or until reduced by half. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley and remaining 1 Tbs. butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour sauce over vegetables; toss to coat.
- Calories: 159
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 125 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g