Okra and tomatoes are a favorite pairing in Southern and Caribbean cuisines.
- 2 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced (11/2 cups)
- 1 lb. okra, sliced (5 cups)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 11/2 cups crumbled feta cheese, optional
1. Cook barley according to package directions.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Add okra, and sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes, or until tomatoes release their juices. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve vegetables over barley, and top with feta (if using).
- Calories: 298
- Carbohydrate Content: 61 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 38 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g