Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Puréed dates give this cake a rich texture. We skip the traditional toffee sauce in favor of a light, citrusy glaze.
1. To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray, and line bottom with parchment paper. Place dates, margarine, and baking soda in heat-proof bowl; cover with 11/4 cups boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Process date mixture in food processor 1 minute, or until mixture becomes wet paste. Add eggs and vanilla, and pulse to combine. Stir date mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
3. To make Glaze: Sift confectioners’ sugar into bowl. Whisk in orange juice, grapefruit juice, and orange zest.
4. Unmold Cake from pan, and transfer to serving plate. Spread Glaze over top of Cake and down sides.
- Calories 316
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 68 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 287 mg
- Sugar Content 43 g