This is an elegant make-ahead dessert that both kids and adults enjoy. Fresh basil helps highlight the strawberry flavor in the sorbet layer of the terrine.
- 1 pt. vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- 4 cups strawberries, stemmed and halved, plus 1 cup whole strawberries, divided
- 1 small ripe banana, cut into pieces (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. agave nectar
- 4 tsp. chopped fresh basil, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate graham crackers
1 | Line 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick foil, letting it hang over pan sides by 2 inches.
2 | Place ice cream in bowl of stand-up mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on low 1 minute, or until slightly softened. Add 11/3 cups halved strawberries, and mix 30 seconds, until combined in swirl. Spread mixture in prepared loaf pan. Freeze 30 minutes to partially set.
3 | Meanwhile, pulse remaining 22/3 cups halved strawberries, banana, lemon juice, agave nectar, and chopped basil in blender or food processor until puréed. Transfer to ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spread sorbet over ice cream mixture in pan, and freeze 2 hours, or until beginning to set.
4 | Scatter graham crackers over sorbet mixture, pressing in. Wrap pan in non-stick foil, and freeze 8 hours, or overnight.
5 | Unmold terrine on cutting board. Slice, and serve garnished with whole strawberries and whole basil leaves.
- Calories: 119
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 12 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 50 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g