Serve this delicately sweet dessert warm or at room temperature, or cover, and refrigerate up to two days.
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. flour, divided
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 11- x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Toss together strawberries, 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar, 2 Tbs. flour, and lemon juice in bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
3. Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 Tbs. sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl. Add shortening, and mix well with fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1/2 cup water. Spread over strawberry mixture. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 275
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 86 mg
- Sugar Content: 33 g