Gorgonzola dolce is a creamy blue cheese from the north of Italy. It is milder and less salty than French Roquefort. It makes a tart, creamy dressing for this salad of tender lettuce and sliced spring berries. The slight bitterness of watercress adds a note of contrast. The optional toasted almonds provide both crunch and sweetness.
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola dolce cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large head butter lettuce or 2 heads Bibb lettuce, rinsed, dried and separated (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and stemmed, optional
- 18 fresh large mint leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 pint basket or 2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
To make Dressing:
1. Put cheese into food processor, and process until soft and smooth. Whisk in yogurt, lemon juice and oil. If too thick, whisk in 1 Tbs. water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To make Salad:
2. Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Put lettuce, watercress, if using, mint and berries into bowl, and season with salt. Add dressing, toss well and arrange on salad plates. Garnish with toasted almonds, if using.
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 115 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g