Red peppers and onions are used to make both a smooth sauce and a chunky filling.
- 4 medium russet or Idaho potatoes, scrubbed and patted dry
- 2 Tbs. garlic-flavored olive oil, divided, plus more for rubbing potatoes
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub potatoes with garlic oil. Prick each potato a few times with fork, and bake
1 1/2 to 2 hours on baking sheet, or until tender.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until onions are browned. Add bell peppers, and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes.
3. Transfer 2 cups onion mixture to food processor, and blend with 1/3 cup hot water until smooth. Keep warm.
4. Return remaining 2 cups onion mixture to medium heat. Add beans, 2/3 cup water, and remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Simmer 4 minutes, or until liquid thickens.
5. Split potatoes down center, and fluff flesh with fork. Spoon 1 Tbs. blended sauce into each potato. Top with 2/3 cup filling, and serve with extra sauce on side.
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 67 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 129 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g