Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
These fragrant, added sugar-free lemon bars are wonderful eaten on the day they are made, to get the real zingy lemon hit. You can also experiment with other flavors — try them with lime juice and zest, grapefruit, blood orange, or even passionfruit.
The recipe recipe comes from Baking Without Sugar by Sophie Michell. Michell, a London-based chef, cookbook author, and television personality, created the book “for food lovers looking to avoid sugar — whether for preference, health needs, or because of an intolerance.”
Sophie Michell’s Sugar-Free Lemon Bars
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix coconut flour, cashew butter, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla together in medium bowl.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and carefully press mix into bottom; spread as evenly as possible, and prick all over with fork.
- Cook about 15 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Reduce heat to 325°F. Remove tray and cool completely.
- For the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, erythritol, eggs, and corn starch until well- combined and lump-free. Pour mix carefully over base, and return to oven for 20 minutes, or until just set and a little wobbly.
- Remove and cool completely before cutting into bars. Sprinkle with erythritol, if desired.
- Calories 120
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 80 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g