This elegant pasta salad stars ultra-fresh, just-picked vegetables—all of which are accented by gorgonzola and lemon juice. If possible, select the vegetables from a farmers market or farm stand. A crusty French bread and a delicate fruit sorbet are all you need to complete the meal.
- 2 Tbs. plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 9 oz. fresh angel hair pasta
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar, or to taste
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes (3/4 lb.), cut into eighths
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 oz. fresh basil, julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 oz. crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 3 Tbs. capers, drained
Fill large saucepan with water and 2 tablespoons olive oil, and bring to a boil. Cook pasta for about 3 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water briefly and set aside.
Combine remaining olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, sugar, and salt and pepper in large bowl, beating well. Add pasta while still warm to oil mixture, and toss to combine well. Set aside.
Place tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, scallions, basil, parsley, gorgonzola and capers in salad bowl, and toss. Add to dressed pasta, and toss again before serving, making sure vegetables are well distributed.
The dressing for this salad is made with a balanced ratio of oil to lemon juice, which is fairly zingy, especially when mustard, garlic, capers and tomatoes are added to the mix. Accordingly, the wine you serve should also have some zing. The variety from Spain called Albariño would be a good choice here. Try Valminor Albariño.
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 480 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g