Rather than use meat substitutes, we turned to pecans to give this gumbo its “meaty” heft and a hit of protein. As they cook, the pecans become tender and chewy while lending the sauce a hint of nutty flavor. Feel free to spice things up with extra Cajun seasoning and…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Rather than use meat substitutes, we turned to pecans to give this gumbo its “meaty” heft and a hit of protein. As they cook, the pecans become tender and chewy while lending the sauce a hint of nutty flavor. Feel free to spice things up with extra Cajun seasoning and hot sauce.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2-3 Tbs. Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 2 small yellow squash or zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (11/2 cups)
- 11/2 cups halved radishes
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch lengths (11/2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen cut okra or 11/2 cups fresh okra pods, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced (2/3 cup)
1 | Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in glutinous rice flour until smooth paste forms. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until roux is caramel-colored, stirring constantly.
2 | Add bell pepper, onion, and celery, and stir to coat with roux. Stir in 1 cup water and Cajun seasoning, and simmer 1 to 2 minutes, scraping up any stuck-on bits from bottom of pot. Stir in broth, 2 more cups water, tomato paste, and garlic, and season with salt, if desired. Add pecans. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3 | Add squash, radishes, carrots, and okra. Cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender and sauce is thick and glistening. Serve gumbo over rice, and sprinkle with green onions.
- Calories 394
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 779 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g